Translate

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Harvesting pumpkins

By Saturday afternoon the cyclone had passed, but it had dumped a huge amount of water on the whole northern part of NZ. One clifftop property (on Waiheke island) had fallen into the sea after the edge of the cliff fell away under the sheer volume of water.
I was still exhausted after my ordeal battening down the hatches yesterday so I decided to focus on the garden.
We had a number of pumpkins growing in the garden which had all self-seeded. We already picked one and ate it last week. But now there were four more ready to collect. I counted 10 growing altogether which means we'll have enough to share with friends.
Izumi's got a few good recipes for pumpkin including pumpkin soup and a great pumpkin pie.

4 comments:

  1. I adore pumpkin soup. Send some over. Just toss them in the ocean & I will collect them in a few weeks at the beach

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just swapped a pumpkin with one of my neighbours who went fishing yesterday. I think we made on the deal as we got about a kilo of filleted snapper worth about $23. Pumpkins like this are selling in the shops at the moment for only about $1.50ea
    At the end of the day though, it's not about the money – it's a gesture of neighbourliness. I'm sure the reason he came over with the fish is because we've given him a few other vegies since the garden started producing – it's nice when it works as currency though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey brother Dave. Nice looking pumpkins you got, I thought they'd be orange at least thats their colour here in America..

    Those pumpkins would make some good old fashioned pumpkin pie or roasted pumpkin seeds. Yumm!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's very unusual to see an orange pumpkin here. The 2 most common pumpkins here are green and grey. The grey ones grow bigger usually.
    All my pumpkins self seeded, probably from my home made compost.

    Roasted pumpkin seeds sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete