Translate

Monday, August 29, 2011

Good things take time

I was digging around amongst some old stuff and came across a few old photos. This photo was taken back in 1993 which is when we decided to extend our house. Even before the extension was built I had already determined that wherever the house ended that’s where my garden would begin. It all started with a couple of retaining walls and moving heaps of earth all by hand in a wheel barrow.


The shape the garden would eventually take was dictated very much by the sloping section and the need to get from one end to the other hence the need for steps. I decided to make a feature of the steps based on something I'd seen in the bay of Islands in the northern part of NZ. I wanted to include areas for planting which I built out of blue stone rock.


This was the first time I'd ever done anything like this so there was a lot of trial and error involved (especially building the rockery) and it was a rather slow process, but I had a pretty good idea of what I was aiming for. My theory was: Make sure the design or structure was well thought out and the rest should take care of itself.


The whole project took shape slowly over a period of 2 or 3 years. 

Fast forward 15 or so years after the planting had matured and a lawn had been laid and it was looking as good as it ever would. 


This photo was taken a couple of years ago but unfortunately since then the lawn has died off, I had to dig up the garden to underground cables to the sleepout and some of the garden rockery has fallen apart.

It was nice while it lasted. 

One thing I’ve learned is that keeping the garden looking nice is a never ending process, but I haven't got sick of it yet.

Read more about how I rebuilt the rockery here







No comments:

Post a Comment